Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Shhhhhhh!

Keeping a baby a secret is by far the most difficult secret we've ever experienced! We told no one outside of each other until the end of the first trimester. (This secret-keeping is the subject of the song I wrote and used to tell my dad about the baby.) Here are a few stories about keeping Baby A a secret!

The night we found out, a friend of ours was having a birthday party at AliveOne. Although there was a wristband deal at the door for the party, Mike spoke to the bouncer separately and explained that his wife wouldn't be drinking... could she just not get a wristband? It appeared to not be a problem. Well, it became a problem when the bouncer came up to Mike and our friend Kylie and said, "Is this the girl who doesn't need a wristband?" Of course, Kylie asked if I was pregnant. SO, I ended up wearing a wristband all night (courtesy of the bouncer who nearly outed us) and drinking so much Sprite my belly hurt. I have to say, I was pretty convincing, bopping around endlessly to various genres of music and belting out "Call Me Maybe" with everyone else. Mission: Accomplished.

The next weekend, we were supposed to go to a Nero concert with some friends. Beforehand, they wanted to have dinner and cucumber martinis (yum!). Luckily, Mike tended to the drinks and I drank cucumber water all evening. Unfortunately, once at the concert, I was feeling claustrophobic. By midnight, I was out. Everyone understood my excuse, no questions asked!

Shana's bachelorette weekend. The ULTIMATE test to my acting and conniving skills (the latter of which I honestly do not put into practice!). Friday - Sunday in Milwaukee with a bunch of girlfriends, our activities based around martinis and late-night shenanigans. Oh boy. I became VERY good buddies with the bartenders and found that soda water was much easier on the tum-tum than Sprite. I ended up being quite handy, as I was the only one who frequently noticed a certain friend's camera, cash, and debit card were on the floor throughout the night.

The real whopper of the bachelorette weekend came when we went to lunch and everyone wanted bloody marys. Never to turn one down, I knew I had to pull a fast one. I excused myself to the ladies' room, but bee-lined for the hostess (couldn't find the waitress) and explained the situation. I said, "When we order drinks, please make sure that the girl in stripes and glasses gets a virgin bloody." Feeling pretty satisfied with myself, I snuck back to the table. Lo and behold, the waitress comes a few minutes later and says, "I heard you ordered early!" OH. MY. GOD. Seriously?! This is pretty much the OPPOSITE of nonchalant! I think I turned 50 shades of pink at that moment. I thought for sure I was caught. ....to my surprise, no one questioned me, even when I made up this ridiculous story of stopping the hostess and telling her we had all wanted bloody marys when she got the chance, but she must have messed up the order and only brought one to me.... I dared to look into their eyes after my terrible lie, but their only response was, "Oh, I wasn't planning on ordering a bloody mary." Wow. Was I really this lucky?? "Oh, well, I guess it worked out then! ha.. ha..." Cue the big simultaneous gulp of my drink and relief.

To all of my friends: If you ever need someone to keep a secret, I have proof I'm a good bet! *smile*

No comments:

Post a Comment