Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pregnant with Emotion

I am a fairly emotional person. Surprisingly, though, I haven't been too crazy throughout the pregnancy so far. (Tomorrow is 16 weeks, so there's lots of time for crazy left!) Aside from a few episodes of me being less patient than usual, there isn't anything that stands out in my baby-carrying experience that shouts "PREGNANT!" .... well.... except maybe this one time........

Mike and I decided to go for a run on a beautiful Saturday morning. Blue skies, 70 degrees, early morning fresh air...perfection. Couldn't be happier. And then...

We get to the corner of Sheridan and Wellington and there is a mama bird leading her baby bird (which appeared to have fallen out of the nest or broken its wing or both) along the sidewalk and across Wellington. I became alarmed. I couldn't look away. To my horror, the baby bird hobbled across the street and stopped UNDER the TIRE of a car waiting for the light. As we jogged across the street, I became paralyzed with my fear for the baby bird. I fought between the urge to watch and hide in Mike's arms as the seconds crawled by. Suddenly, I erupted into deep, from-the-gut sobs. I mean, can't catch my breath, can't form words, uncontrollable sobs. Mike assured me the baby bird got across safely before the car moved, to which I choked out the words, "Are you lying to me? Because if you are, good, I can't handle it!" before falling apart again. Gingerly treading the line between consoling me and helping me to realize the ridiculous nature of my behavior, Mike asked, "Are you pregnant or something?" .... :)

Wow. Guess that's what they mean by hormones affecting you, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment